Friday, August 9, 2013

Baby Update

It was a little bit like de ja vu all over again. Yesterday was my 37 week doctor's appointment. Last week I had joked with the doctor that I was pretty sure Rowe was 10 lbs. and taking up every inch she could. He had chuckled and said not quite 10 lbs. but I'll give you that she is bigger than the 6 lbs. I would expect her to be right now. He promised an ultrasound today, and a date for an induction. Those were some of the best words I had heard from him in awhile.

We were very excited for the day! After lunch at P. F. Chang's and a little last minute shopping for the big brother's gift, I was more than ready to hear that all the second glances and out right stares I get at my belly were warranted. (I'm well aware I'm huge, but come on I'm not the first pregnant person you've seen people.) The ultrasound tech got us right back, and within a few minutes she had determined Rowe is indeed a big girl already. The estimate is 8 lbs. 15 ozs.! She was very squished as expected. We got a little glimpse of her nose and mouth for a second, and it appears that she has hair (good thing for her since I've spent a small fortune on Zantac and still had heartburn).

Next, we got to hear the doctor's perspective. He agrees she is large, but doesn't think she is as big as the estimate. After 35 weeks, ultrasounds aren't as reliable for size and anything estimated over 8 lbs. can be inaccurate by +/- a pound. There is also a new rule as of this spring that doctor's can not induce before 39 weeks unless there is a medical reason, and for weight to be the medical reason the baby must measure 10 1/2 lbs. by ultrasound. So, we are set for an induction on August 19th if she doesn't decide to come before. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but I'll take it. We were hoping for next week. I kind of have this thing about numbers and we all have even numbered birthdays, so I was hoping to choose that for her also. Brennan is supposed to start preschool on the 19th too, so I was hoping she would be here before he made that transition. Of course those are all fairly superficial ideas for a birthdate, and I had made progress since last week so she may have her own date in mind. None the less we will have a baby very soon!

The de ja vu comes from my pregnancy with Brennan. I had an ultrasound with him at 37 weeks, he measured 8 lbs. 13 ozs, and the doctor didn't think he was really that big. We didn't set a date or even discuss him coming early. He was born at 38 weeks 6 days and weighed 8 lbs. 11 ozs.  I'll predict that little sister might be just about the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment