Sunday, August 25, 2013

Our First Days Together

We've had a great week getting to know little Rowe and becoming a family of four! Brennan got to come to the hospital last Saturday afternoon to meet his sister. He had done a happy dance when my mom told him Rowe was here. He was very excited to see her and introduce her to our family.

 Brennan wanted to bring his teddy bear, which was my teddy bear when I was little, to let Rowe use. He ultimately took it back home, but I loved his generosity. 

He was full of questions like: What is that thing on her belly? and Is there another baby in your belly? and Why is she crying?  When it was time to leave, he told Mike and I to take good care of Rowe and not let her cry anymore. 

We had lots of great hospital visits from family and friends. Unfortunately, we didn't remember to get pictures with everyone.

On Monday, I got up and dressed looking forward to going home by lunch. Brennan had started preschool and I really wanted to be home when he got home to hear about his day. That plan changed quickly. My doctor came in to inform me that my platelets were back down (more about this later) and I needed to stay to see another doctor. After waiting all day, having more blood work, and seeing a couple of doctors, we finally got to leave about 8:00 p.m. We were greeted by a very happy little boy and my parents when we did make it home. Brennan met us at the car and wanted to help carry Rowe inside.

We settled in quickly, got very little sleep, and got up the next morning for Rowe's first weight check. She had lost over a pound. Luckily, she started big enough that we were able to delay supplementing. Our week continued much the same. We went back to the pediatrician on Wednesday and Friday. She gained a small amount, but ultimately we've ended up supplementing over the weekend and we'll go back again Monday. She has had her days and nights mixed up and wanted to eat constantly at night, but we seemed to turn the corner last night with the supplements. We also enjoyed our first little trip out on Friday. After the doctor, we went to Target to pick up a few things and then to lunch. It felt great to be out and Rowe slept through it all.

So far Rowe loves her swing and Boppy seat. She has mostly slept in a bassinet in her room. I've slept in her room on the twin bed quite a bit. That has allowed Mike to get some rest and then take care of Brennan so that I can sleep when possible. Overall, it has been a great week considering we are all adjusting to our new way of life.

On a side note: I do have to see a specialist this week about my platelets. It could be anything from just a pregnancy symptom that has taken a little more time to resolve to something more serious. We are trusting that it is nothing major, but all prayers are appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that y'all are home and adjusting nicely.