Finally, a little update of the bedroom! We have moved in, and are still getting everything into place. One of the first accessories I added were window treatments.
I knew these were going to add a little excitement and drama that I was looking for. I needed ten panels to cover five windows, so something economical was a must. I also needed them to be long since the ceilings are 9 feet, and I'm a big fan of hanging any window treatment high to expand the space. After an unsuccessful trip to Sir's Fabric, I decided to give paint drop clothes a try. I had seen the idea around Pinterest and liked the look. They have the look of linen, but at a fraction of the cost.
I bought 6' x 9' panels for about $10 each. These were some of the easiest panels I've ever done. The drop clothes are already hemmed, so I just made a rod pocket and was done. You could skip the sewing all together and just use rings with clips. I'm very happy with how they turned out.
I did learn a few things about drop clothes in this process. First, the clothes sold at Home Depot do not have seams through them. The first one I bought at Lowes had a seam running horizontally through it. (Sorry Lowes--I like you for most things.) Second, they are not exactly 6' x 9'. They turned out to be a little smaller in reality. If you have 8 ft. ceilings this shouldn't be a problem at all. I had two that were a little short, but because I was using a wire across the bay window that didn't need a very big rod pocket it worked out ok. Third, as I had already read they do wrinkle a lot. I washed and dried them before sewing in case they shrank. I actually kind of like the wrinkles and don't plan to get them all out. Last, they are just meant to be drop clothes so they were not perfect. One edge was a little ragged, and some of the hemmed edges were a little rough. Overall, I'm fine with all of this and plan to use them for other projects I think.
There's more to come on the bedroom, once I get all the tools put away and maybe a new light or two up.