Sunday, December 6, 2009

Football Season

Auburn vs. Mississippi State
UNA vs. Carson Newman
Football is one of the passions Mike and I share. We spent many great weekends this fall enjoying high school and college football. The majority of our Friday nights were spent at Falkville High School watching my alma mater. Falkville football has always been a big part of my life. I cheered there in high school, my brother played, and the field is named for my grandfather. I had only been to a few games since I graduated from college. Mike was actually the one urging us to the games this year. He liked the small town atmosphere, meeting people I've known forever, and having a place to be on Friday night. While I can't say I was always excited to leave the comforts of home at the end of the week to sit on hard bleachers, it was nice to reconnect with the past a little bit.
Saturdays were my favorite. I am a lifelong Auburn Tiger! Mike is a Bama fan. We both love SEC football in general. Every Saturday was spent watching our teams. We started the season by decorating the dining room buffet with Aubie and Big Al bobble heads, putting AU and UA collars on the dogs and flying a house divided flag in the front yard. Mike, and his giving soul, bought tickets to two Auburn games. Mike, Mom, and I went to the Auburn vs. Mississippi State game and homecoming vs. Furman. Mike even wore Auburn gear, though he doesn't like to admit it in front of anyone else. We also went to one UNA game at the beginning of the season. We ended the season with our rivalry. Of course Mike's team won, but mine was pretty awesome. I don't think I've ever felt so happy after a loss. Yesterday was the big SEC championship game. Mike was super excited, and very proud that I agreed to wear his Alabama jersey for the day. We made a big deal out of the game, and he is still floating from the win. Now he is encouraging Brennan to get here in plenty of time for the National Championship game Jan. 7th. I'm sad to see the season come to an end, but look forward to many years of family football Saturdays. As we settle into our house more, we want to make it a gathering place to watch games. Look for an invite next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment